[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Gitlab, Swap Meet (Sept 2018)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 8 00:57:43 EDT 2018

Don't look now, but it appears that Microsoft won after all. Want a
job? Every career counsellor in the Western World insists that you
need to get an account on Microsoft LinkedIn and use it to network, or
be unemployed forever. Want to develop software collaboratively? You
had best be using Git, and if you're using Git and want any
credibility you had better be uploading your repositories on Microsoft
GitHub, and using their proprietary tools for issue tracking and pull
requests. Sure, we don't have to use their operating system (and we
can even use Linux in Windows 10 now!) and we don't need to use their
web browser, but overall we have been embraced and extended. There is
no escape.

Or is there? Colin Knapp belongs to a determined resistance that wants
you to be able to host collaborative socialized Git repositories
on whatever server you want. Gitlab is a web-based repository manager
that has a freely-licensed community edition. As a followup to his
last Gitlab presentation in March 2015 (!?) Colin will meet
us in a secret undisclosed location (namely, the KW Innovation Centre
at 283 Duke Street) to talk about "Creating problems to solve problems
in GitLab". He will talk about how to organize and compartmentalize
projects, Kanban boards, the development cycle he uses, and GitLab
Runners. This presentation will begin around 7:00pm.

Do you have some electronic treasure sitting around, possibly
disguised as trash that is collecting dust at your house? Do you have
old computers with neat histories? The second part of our evening at
KWLUG will consist of an electronics swap meet. You can come and trade
stuff, or pick up stuff, or drop off stuff, or tell stories about
stuff, or just listen to other people tell stories about stuff. If
there is surplus unwanted stuff then we will (I hope!) get it sent to
be disposed of responsibly.

In other news, this is your irregularly scheduled reminder that
https://watcamp.com exists, that it is a great resource if you are
looking for local tech meetups, and that you can get a weekly listing
of events sent to you by email here:

That's all I have, other than to remind you that our secret meeting
location will once again be the KW Innovation Centre:

KW Innovation Centre
Unit 225
283 Duke St W
(just past Victoria)