[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Life as a Debian Developer; High Availability (Aug 2018)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 11 01:23:20 EDT 2018

Let's start with a location note: for this month, we are holding our
KWLUG meeting in the Google Community Space, at 25 Breithaupt Street.
For details about the meeting location, see
https://kwlug.org/google-community-space .

Note that we will all get name badges while we are on the space (but I
think they are regular name badges and not high-tech surveillance
ones). There are some other rules we have to follow, but most of them
are common-sense. If you are interested, you can read them here:
https://kwlug.org/sites/default/files/2018-08/Google_Waterloo_Community_Space_Security_Guidelines.pdf

As a second note, Jim Kelsh is ill and won't be able to give his
Virtual Machine beginner talk this month, but we will reschedule.
However, we have two other talks which should be pretty excellent.

First, we will hear from Hubert Chathi, who has been a Debian
developer for many years now. Hubert has maintained several packages
for Debian over the years and has seen the Debian project grow and
change. In celebration of Debian's 25th anniversary, he will give a
high-level, largely non-technical overview of his experiences.

Secondly, Madison Kelly will give us a high-level overview of how
high-availability computing works. She will keep the talk flexible,
with lots of opportunities for you to ask your questions.

That's it for this exciting edition of August Announcement Meeting,
except for telling you where our August meeting will be held:

Google Community Space
25 Breithaupt Street
Kitchener

The entrance is off of Breithaupt Street. See
https://kwlug.org/google-community-space for maps and photos of the
meeting entrance.

- Paul
--
Municipal election information: https://waterlooregionvotes.org
(Please spread the word! Contributions also gratefully accepted.)