[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Programming Microcontrollers (October 2018)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 29 00:13:50 EDT 2018

In addition to staring up at the sky a lot, recently Khalid Baheyeldin
has started playing with microcontrollers -- in particular, Bluetooth
and wifi-enabled devices that can be programmed in micropython. These
devices can serve as interfaces to the Internet of Things, so that you
can automate your home, make your seat cushions smart, and authorize
your entire house to spy on your every move. (Hey Google, how do I
know if I am paranoid? Alexa, book me an appointment at your
re-education camp.) Ever the techno-utopian, Khalid has been having
lots of fun playing with these cheap microcontrollers, and he will
share his enthusiasm starting at 7pm. Although this is not explicitly
billed as a beginner-friendly talk, Khalid's talks are always
articulate and approachable, so if you show up you will probably learn
something.

If you like electronics and lights, perhaps you would be interested in
attending the City of Waterloo's Lumen Saturday evening?
https://www.waterloo.ca/en/living/lumen.asp
There will probably be some microcontrollers in action there too.

This month's meeting will be held at our new, semi-permanent home:

KW Innovation Centre
Unit 225
283 Duke St W
Kitchener