[kwlug-disc] To WIFI or not to WIFI

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 16:49:41 EDT 2022

Since it's on topic (somewhat), I thought it'd be fun to share the small
fun (but crude) Wi-Fi and cellular radiation experiment we do as an extra
in our Wireless Infrastructure Administration & Design course.

Basically, I introduce that radiation is energy that travels. All radiation
will pass through various materials. Nonionizing radiation doesn’t affect
the materials that it passes through (light & radio waves). Ionizing
radiation DOES affect the material that it passes through by creating
charged particles in the materials called ions (x‐rays, gamma rays,
lasers). All high-voltage devices create at least a small amount of
ionizing radiation, and we even have background ionizing radiation due to
cosmic rays & rock (e.g. Colorado and the Canadian Shield).

Today, it is considered bad if you absorb more than 20000 uSv of ionizing
radiation per year
1 year = 8 765.81277 hours
20000 uSv per year / 8765.81277 hours year = 2.28159105 uSv per hour

Background radiation is well known for all parts of the world (Kitchener is
0.15 uSv per hour)
2.28159105 uSv per hour / 0.15 uSv per hour = 15.210607
So, 15X background radiation in Kitchener would be bad.

So let’s do an experiment:
1. Get a cheap ($15) radiation dosimeter
2. Measure the background radiation (e.g. ticks/minute if it doesn't have
an LED readout)
3. Put it next to a cell phone playing a video across cellular data (4G/5G
LTE) & measure the ticks/minute
4. Put it next to a cell phone playing a video across WiFi (802.11n/ac/ax)
& measure the ticks per minute
5. See whether 4G/5G LTE and/or 802.11n/ac/ax generate more than 15 times
background radiation.

Results?  They’ve been pretty consistent:
Background radiation = 13 ticks/minute (baseline)

Playing YouTube video on cellular data (4GLTE/5G) = 140-150 ticks/minute
(>10 times the background radiation)
*5G was a bit less! (lower power than 4G)
Playing YouTube video on Wi-Fi 802.11n connection = 13 ticks/minute (=
background radiation)
Playing YouTube video on Wi-Fi 802.11ac connection = 14 ticks/minute (=
background radiation)
Playing YouTube video on Wi-Fi 802.11ax connection = 13 ticks/minute (=
background radiation)

So cellular is definitely worse than Wi-Fi, but you'd probably have to be
on a cellular connection all the time to get close to the recommended bad
dosage per year.