[kwlug-disc] To WIFI or not to WIFI

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Oct 6 15:48:25 EDT 2022

I know somebody who got brain cancer from a RIM cell phone, and who received hush money from RIM.

Whether cell phone radio wave frequencies are "safe" is not a yes or no question, in the sense that either the frequency is ionizing or non ionizing. What matters is intensity and duration. In the case I mention above, the design of the phone and its antenna, the frequency and duration of use, and the way it was held, were all relevant factors.

Drinking water is not "safe" in an absolute sense: an overdose will kill you. Magnetic fields are not "safe": a high enough intensity will kill you. Black pepper and cloves are known carcinogens (I still use them). There was a case last year of someone dying from an overdose of licorice candy (which I occasionally eat).

Some people are more sensitive to environmental stressors than others. If your immune system is compromised, for example, then minor cellular damage that would be cleaned up and repaired in a healthy person could turn into cancer. This is just one way you could be sensitive to environmental stressors, there are many others.

So don't be making absolute statements about the safety of something and calling it "science".