[kwlug-disc] To WIFI or not to WIFI

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Oct 6 17:29:16 EDT 2022

Thanks for the numbers, Jason. Much appreciated.

I carry a cell phone, but keep the cell radio turned off unless I am using it. I discourage incoming cell calls (it's a lifestyle choice, I don't give most people the right to interrupt me at will in real time). I use speakerphone when possible so I can avoid pressing the thing against my head when it isn't necessary. I have home wifi and don't worry about it. I wasn't sure if my lack of wifi precautions were justified, but your measurements are reassuring (even if not definitive).

Some things I have read on the internet suggest that a small subset of people are far more sensitive to EMR than the average person, but I don't have enough data to have an opinion. I do know that cell phone cancer has occurred (it's rare), and I do know that a few people are negatively affected by infrasound from wind mills; I have data for this.

I have checked out the levels of radiation on Mars, and radiation exposure during interplanetary travel, and I will not be participating in Elon's Mars colonization project. Really, there are multiple reasons for this decision.

Doug.