[kwlug-disc] New meaning for retro computing?

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:45:41 EDT 2021

There is absolutely a ton of life left in these older boxes and laptops.
My office PC(which I use only 2 times a week) still rocks a 2008-era
SuperMicro mobo and a Q6700 CPU(!) It has 8G of RAM, an SSD  and runs W10
quite fine.

To this day, I still use a fleet of Tinkpads, X220, X201, T520, T420s for
fin work, computer work, personal stuff, never had a reason to say anything
is slow. Why do this? It's all about that classic Thinkpad keyboard. The
2nd gen TP units were the last to get that keyboard, may they live for the
next 11 years when I decide to exit the IT and fin world.

Perversely, I use a newly-acquired P17 behemoth for doing nothing more than
Zoom/Skype meets this far, but it's only been 6 weeks. The keyboard
is...OK, I guess.

Thanks,

Ron S.