[kwlug-disc] New meaning for retro computing?

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Jul 21 10:35:51 EDT 2021

A couple of days ago I have changed my office box from E3 server board
to AMD Phenom II. I am going retro :) This was my first own completely
built desktop. Before that I was just a non-Apple laptop consumer. And
before that I just didn't own those 386 and Pentium boxes.

AMD Phenom is retro for me. Half PCI slots are PCI. Five (?) years back
I bought probably the last retail Gigabit NIC for PCI.

These several days I am doing some Android development, and device
emulator has a black screen. It turns out, Android studio emulator for
devices uses ssse3 cpu instruction that isn't yet present in AMD Phenom.

So, for a time being, split keyboard and portrait oriented screens are
connected to Lenovo ThinkPad E540 with i7-4702MQ CPU.

Phenom: 42nm

ThinkPad i7: 22nm

Threadripper: 7nm

42 is retro now.