[kwlug-disc] New meaning for retro computing?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:47:19 EDT 2021

I've also done some semi-retro stuff in that I bought a XEON E5-1650
v0 CPU and an Atermiter X79 Turbo motherboard from China just before
the pandemic hit. Surprisingly it took only 1 month to arrive (and
about 3 weeks of that was coming from British Columbia to Kitchener).
I got 3 notices from Canada Post apologizing for the delay, but it
arrived just shy of 1 month. The GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1866MHz RAM from
my old AMD-based system (can't remember the Gigabyte motherboard, but
had an A8-5600K APU in there) only runs at 1333MHz, but I also haven't
taken the time to go through all the motherboard BIOS (the BIOS has a
lot more options than a typical motherboard, and no manual). Packaging
was decent, a nice box within a not-so nice box that obviously had
something set on top of it. (Board has been okay).

I blogged about it here:
https://www.chaslinux.com/article/installing-atermiter-x79-turbo-motherboard

I bought my motherboard from the "atermiter store" on AliExpress, but
when you scan that QR Code on the front of the box it actually takes
you to the "CPU store" so I suspect they may either be the same thing
or neighbours.

atermiter store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000808938829.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.productList_1031796786.subject_5
CPU store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32941784993.html

The board claims to support NVMe 3rd gen, but I just have a couple of
old SATA SSDs attached. Back when I wrote the post I was thinking of
buying a better graphics card than my NVidia GTX650Ti Boost (650, not
1650), but the market was/is still crazy. At the moment not adding on
to it, but I might end up buying a 1TB WD Black NVMe to replace one of
the 2 SSDs I have.

Computer Recycling still gets the odd server CPU outside of cases,
though I think most of what we have are LGA1366 era stuff, there may
still be a few other 4 core XEON processors, and I'm pretty sure we
have a few Core 2 Quad processors around.