[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Aug 19 21:52:46 EDT 2014

OK.  Let me try to navigate the treacherous waters here...

Can someone explain the philosophical differences (because those appear
to be what the most fervent anti/proponents of systemd hinge arguments
on) between systemd (anti-UNIX evil!) and something like busybox
(super-cool tool!)?

I can imagine a situation where a Grand-Unified boot/OS mgmt system is a
"good" thing. Phones, Internet-of-Things things, tablets, cars,
toasters, etc.  Simplify(?), strip out unnecessary complication and have
a single entity control the bits.  Think of all the race conditions that
will have to find a new place to live.  One binary to make everything
work.  Think of the bits that can be saved, the permutations of various
competing services that no longer have to be mediated/refereed, the log
files that no longer have to be read because they are not readable, the
automated testing nirvana...

Would I want to build a cluster of machines around such an
architecture?  No.  Just like I would not want to use busybox for my
utilities and services in that setting.  Could I?  Sure.  It is about
choice.  If I was outfitting a power/storage/performace limited device
with narrow requirements?  I know that it is often the correct choice.
That is what open source is about:  many correct choices - you get to
pick the best one for your application.

Regardless of how bad systemd is, the intent of those who espouse it and
what the ultimate objectives of systemd are, open source has a fail-safe
solution:  fork it!