[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Aug 19 23:04:45 EDT 2014

If I understand the prior messages correctly ...

The problem is there will be no alternative to systemd.

And that the linux kernel in its current modularity can be well factored
in as the basic for many varying devices of many varying capabilities.

But the unavoidable choice of the behemoth that is systemd will render
it unusable (bloatware) going forwards on these many varying devices of
many varying capabilities. (Or, the behemoth that it is, as prevalent as
it will be, will be so high a hurdle to replace, in terms of effort,
that nobody has the resources to do so. Can't build a better cog since
the cog has to have a new whole in which to live, and there's nobody
paying attention to the rest of the whole at that moment. [So nothing
even gets started.])

So the common universal, ubiquitous, free, linux will stop being the
common, universal, and ubiquitous, beastie that it is.

And the proprietary, and opaque, will overtake these other areas,
negating all the point and success to date of FOSS. e.g. Android /
phones / tables / whatever next ubiquitous paradigm change emerges.

If I understand the prior points on this in past threads.

On 14-08-19 09:52 PM, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> OK.  Let me try to navigate the treacherous waters here...
.
.
.