[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 19 21:40:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Didn't our monolithic Linux kernel went through the same type of "fire"?
> If the forged outcome is better faster replacement of "init", then I don't
> mind, as long as it's documented properly, with tutorial, manpage, and
> reference.  I have to learn this damn thing...

Our monolithic kernel is monolithic in the kernel driver sense, meaning
that drivers run in kernel space rather than user space. But the kernel is
still modular. You can choose to compile without drivers for hardware you
don't have, and even if they are available in your system, you only load
the modules you need.

It would be an analogy if loading driver A, required subsystem B, which
required daemon X, which has a hard dependency on Z.

If systemd was only "a faster init replacement with simpler unified daemon
syntax", then there would be no criticisms at all towards it. But it is not
just that.

Scope creep and Inner System Syndrome galore ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.