[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

Michael Savage msavageca at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 15 15:13:56 EDT 2010

I am a member of the Board of Directors of Supportive Housing of Waterloo.
Presently all of services are with Bell Canada. Roger's have also quoted on
phone service for us. Our property manager is investigating other options.

My questions about Roger's phone service for this outfit are:
1. Reliability. Is the system VOIP? Is it reliable enough to replace the
traditional land line from Bell? I have mucho problems with cable in my house,
some channels don't come in clear etc.
2. 911 Calls. Any issues to be aware of again? As we are a supportive housing
project, the phone could be our lifeline.
3. Will it work without power. My home phone on the land line still works if we
have a power failure. Again, I'm thinking reliability etc.
4. We are also trying to get Rogers to drop in cable access to the apartments at
a reduced rate. Will this affect the phone system if we are successful? (Concern
about traffic if it is VOIP?)
5. Once you sign up for  contract, at the end of term, does the price suddenly
jump? ie, the offer is for 2 years. In two years I'm hoping not to get a rude
surprise.
I'm basically trying to understand if it is a good idea to switch. The savings
being offered are significant. To me, however the key would be reliability and
assurance of 911 service.

TIA,
Mike