[kwlug-announce] HYBRID Meeting Monday, 7pm: Cool Tools (Sept 2023)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 9 13:12:31 EDT 2023

Well folks, it's happening. We are re-introducing an in-person meeting
option to our meetings. Our goal is to be hybrid, simultaneously
streaming to BigBlueButton as we meet in-person. Another goal
is to keep the online experience about as good as it was when we were
fully virtual. Some KWLUG members join us from far-off lands, and
others don't feel comfortable socializing indoors, so we want to
ensure that online participants don't feel second-class.
We are not a Silly Valley tech company mandating "back to the office"
for all the nearby peons. You are welcome to join us in whatever way
works for you.

Usually I put location information at the bottom of these
announcements, but let's break the trend. The online meeting location
will remain the same: https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug . The
in-person location will be room LIB 329 (the computer lab) at the Dana
Porter library at the University of Waterloo. As usual, the meeting
will start at 7pm.

You can find out about the meeting locations here:
https://kwlug.org/node/1345 .

We are trying out the library space, but may try other locations over
the next few months. Stay tuned.

Our first hybrid meeting will consist of some "Cool Tools"
presentations. KWLUG members (both in-person and remote!) will show
off some off some neat utilities they have found, and how to use them.
John Driezen will show us a little about renaming files in the
Double Commander file manager. John Steel will show us the SSL snooper
mitmproxy, and the fuzzy searcher fzf. Andrew Cant will show us
Foreman, a tool that makes it easy to spin up Ruby environments that
involve multiple processes. If audience members (that's you!) have
cool tools to show off then we may have additional demos as well.

Although some in-person meeting participants will likely be doing
dinner after the meeting, for now we will continue having separate
in-person dinner events. The next is scheduled for Monday, Sept 18, at
Wicked Coop Chicken. See more info at https://kwlug.org/node/1346

In other news, we are not the only group that has been changing things
up. Here are a few groups and events that are happening this month.

- The local Wordpress group has revived itself, and is holding monthly
  gatherings at Kwartzlab: https://www.meetup.com/wordpress-kitchener-unleashing-code-creativity-beyond/

- The local KW Kanban group is up and running again, and they are
  holding their first event on Sept 20: https://www.meetup.com/kanbankw/events/295096330/

- The World of Retrocomputing Expo is being held in downtown Kitchener
  on Sat Sept 16 and Sun Sept 17: https://www.worldofretrocomputing.com/2023-worc-expo

As always, you can find other tech events at https://watcamp.com

That's all I have for this month. Take care, everybody.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop