[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Ardour, KDEConnect + in-person info (Aug 2023)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 12 16:15:58 EDT 2023

Happy middle-of-August. I hope you are having a tubular summer, full
of Barneys and Betties. If you are looking for few technical talks to
complement your fun in the sun, you are in the right place, because
KWLUG continues to chug along.

Along with our presentations, we have some news about potential
in-person meeting spaces. See below for more.

Originally we had an Ardour presentation scheduled for last month,
but unfortunately Brent had to cancel at the last minute. However,
he's back and raring to go, so we will have him show off the Digital
Audio Workstation software Ardour.

Our second presentation comes all the way from British Columbia, where
Ron Barnes (aka "Ron in BC") will show us KDEConnect, which he
describes as "the killer app for KDE". KDEConnect ties together mobile
devices and computers, so that you can use them for notifications and
remote control. He is quite enthusiastic about demoing the software
for us (and hopefully I have not jinxxed things by saying such).

Okay. Let's talk in-person meetings. Some amazing KWLUG members have
offered up potential in-person meeting spaces, and at this point we
have two viable candidates: 100 Garment Street and the Computer Lab at
the Dana Porter library at the University of Waterloo. Both sites have
advantages and disadvantages. You can read more about the proposed
locations here: https://kwlug.org/node/1340 . If you have opinions
about which site you would prefer, please send them to me by email, to
the kwlug-disc mailing list, or via the contact form on our website.

There are a few more steps remaining before we can hold in-person
meetings:

- Deciding on which meeting space to try, and actually booking the
  space.
- Figuring out how to make meetings hybrid.
- Figuring out safety policies. (Do we mandate masks? What is the
  protocol for going back online-only?)

If you would like to help with these things, and/or have opinions on
them, please get in touch.

There is some chance that this will happen for September, but that may
be a stretch. October seems more likely, but stay tuned.

Our other event this month is a restaurant meetup. This month it will
be held at McCabe's on Wednesday, August 23. See
https://kwlug.org/node/1339 for details. If it pleases you, please
RSVP to dinner at kwlug.org if you plan to attend.

On a sadder, off-topic note, Bram Moolenaar, the driving force behind
the Vim text editor, died this month. Here is an obituary from the
Register: https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/07/bram_moolenaar_obituary/

On that melancholy note, here is the link to this month's meeting:

https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug

The meeting starts at 7pm, but we shall open the room at 6:45pm or so.
All are welcome.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org