[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: Game Wave Console, PrivacySafe (Oct 2023)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 30 19:41:45 EDT 2023

This month's meeting features something old and something new, with
something borrowed and something blue.

Something old: Did you know that there was a video game console
designed in Ontario? It was called the Game Wave Family Console, and
was available from 2005 to 2009. Nathan G is involved in reviving this
technological history with the goal of writing an emulator. Nathan
will tell us about the console, and his group's efforts so far.

Something new: Mikalai Birukou has been working on his
privacy-focused, self-hostable open source productivity platform
PrivacySafe for a few years now, and has given us several talks around
the topic. This month he will give us something new: a live,
hands-on demo of the software on a KWLUG local server. Whether you
are attending the meeting in person or online, you can play along by
downloading the PrivacySafe client for your platform (AppImage-capable
Linux, MacOS, Windows) here: https://3nsoft.com/downloads/PrivacySafe/
.

Something borrowed: there are few places better for borrowing things
than a library, and once again the Dana Porter Library is generously
lending some meeting space to us. The room is on the third floor of
the library, at LIB 329. You can get more information on our location
page: https://kwlug.org/node/1345

Something blue: BigBlueButton, of course. We are continuing to hold
hybrid meetings, with the goal of giving remote participants an
experience as close as possible to when we held meetings exclusively
virtually. At 7pm, you can join the meeting here:
https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug .

(This doesn't fit into the wedding rhyme, but if you have thoughts
about how our hybrid adventure is going we would love to hear them. If
you have found them good we would like to know. If you have been
dissuaded from attending meetings (virtually or in-person) for some
reason we would like to know that too. This is a standing offer. You
can email the organizers or use the contact functionality on the
website.)

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org