[kwlug-disc] Say No To Electronic Voting ...

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sat Aug 1 10:33:38 EDT 2020

>> There is no problem with having a machine scan the completed ballot
>> to make counting easier. The
>> paper ballot is still the authoritative vote, and can be manually
>> recounted if needed. We do have
>> those in a minority of the elections we have (municipal I think).
>
> Actually, having ballot counting machines, even with paper backup,
> requires me to trust not my machine.
>
> I want us to have higher standards.

Imagine the following. There is a poll about whatever, not necessarily
elections. Pollster just gives cryptographic material: its a
registration phase. The rest is the same, like in voting process. I
click on my device, in privacy of my device. I'll be less inclined to
hide my choice (aka polls in USA 2016). I will be able to check that
polling organization has counted my answer correctly. With raw input
numbers, they'll have to show the rest of math to be credible.

You may think, okay, USA 2016, whatever ... . But. Polls are used as a
propaganda weapon.

In Belarus, no one is allowed to do polling about specified issues
without explicit permission of governing body. That president in Belarus
came with majority in first, probably two or three elections. There were
five already. Official polling has blinded people from realizing that
majority of country has shifted.