[kwlug-disc] USB 2.0 hubs, and power ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Oct 29 13:00:31 EDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:56 PM Benjamin Tompkins <bjtompkins at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You may be better off skipping the hub and looking for an extension cable
> and putting the joint where the bend is.

The hub reduces the two cables from the two cameras on the telescope
optical tube, to just one going to the laptop (instead of the current two.

Will try that after I measure the current.

As for the passive hub, USB 2.0 specifies a max amperage of 500mA.  It
> should provide that to a single port if that's all that is in use.

Thanks for this info. Gives me a baseline to measure.

The USB cable for the one camera is both power and data, and for the other
camera is only data.