[kwlug-disc] USB 2.0 hubs, and power ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Oct 28 23:26:00 EDT 2019

I have an astro camera that is USB 2.0. It is powered through its USB cable
which is also used to get images from it.

The issue I am facing is the cable stiffness as the night cools down, and
that it is barely as long as it needs to be (no slack). It is a regular
printer USB cable (A on one side and B on the other), but somewhat long (~
2 metres).

I want to use a shorter and less stiff cable by plugging that camera, as
well as the other camera, into a USB hub that is closer to them, than to
the laptop, and use an extension USB cable for the rest of the journey.

The question is: will a passive unpowered USB 2.0 hub work and provide
power to that one camera (the other camera has its own power, so power to
it is not an issue)?

I'd rather use an unpowered hub to avoid having yet another power cable
going to yet another device.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.