[kwlug-disc] Dynamic DNS or Static DNS for HOME machine?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Feb 3 10:07:04 EST 2018

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 9:39 AM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) <
aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 6:39 PM, doug moen <doug at moens.org> wrote:
> Teksavvy charges $4/mo for static IP, it's available for DSL but not for
> cable. Bell does not offer static IP addresses, neither does Rogers.
>

> At least for Rogers (and IPv4) my IP tends to stay the same for months at
> a time; I have a friend who I do some DNS work for and for the longest time
> he’d just email me twice or thrice a year to update the IP for his name, it
> was that infrequent.

With Vmedia, a Rogers reseller, the IP address remains unchanged for a very
long time, maybe two years.

It only changed recently when we had a 3 hour blackout in the neighbourhood
(and the internet was out too).

Previously, I setup scripts that update the DNS at Linode (where I host my
domain) using their API.

They did not work, and I had to go dig in the scripts to see why. It was a
long time ago when I set it up, and I forgot what I did.

Here is an example of their API.

https://github.com/snorp/linode/blob/master/LinodeDynDNS.py

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin