[kwlug-disc] Dynamic DNS or Static DNS for HOME machine?

Sat Feb 3 09:39:14 EST 2018

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 6:39 PM, doug moen <doug at moens.org> wrote:
> Teksavvy charges $4/mo for static IP, it's available for DSL but not for cable. Bell does not offer static IP addresses, neither does Rogers.

At least for Rogers (and IPv4) my IP tends to stay the same for months at a time; I have a friend who I do some DNS work for and for the longest time he’d just email me twice or thrice a year to update the IP for his name, it was that infrequent.

I used to use DNSSEC and a little script which automatically updated my homename.mixdown.ca <http://homename.mixdown.ca/> address whenever it changed, but I’ve gotten lazy and just use no-ip.com <http://no-ip.com/> now. The Rogers modem has support for it and it was just easiest.

If you’re curious I can dig up the DNSSEC script I used, maybe you’d find it useful? You'll need a DNS server to talk to to resolve the dynamic IP for you, but if you’ve already got that it’s free and very low hassle.

-A.