[kwlug-disc] ***SPAM*** Re: Here is another FOSS job posting board

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 30 13:18:46 EDT 2017

The new Communitech job board is https://workintech.ca (because
Communitech is pushing the "Waterloo-Toronto" corridor in an attempt
to get Waterloo Region swallowed up by the GTA).

Here is a mini-rant: most local startups use FOSS stacks, but they are
not FOSS companies. They are FOSS parasites. Sure: they want YOU to
have an extensive Github profile of YOUR open source contributions
that use their technology. That demonstrates you are some kind of
ninja rockstar who does not need to be trained. But they don't want to
give much back. Certainly none of their core business is FOSSable
(because startup capital) and having the temerity to quiz companies on
their FOSS contributions is a great way to get yourself screened out
of a phone interview.

I am sure this is not universal, of course. No doubt there are plenty
of local startups who are good FOSS citizens. But it has been a trial
finding any, and those who sound promising want nothing to do with old
dinosaurs like me (because of that "cultural fit" Mark talks about).
Not that I am bitter. (Spoiler: I am a little bitter. I am trying to
get less bitter before actively looking for positions again, although
if KWLUGers have opportunities for old dinosaurs I am open to hearing
them.)

- Paul

http://pnijjar.freeshell.org