[kwlug-disc] Extending WiFi Range

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Mar 30 09:11:16 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 12:05 AM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> On that note: if the problem is getting wifi to the backyard, why not run
> a cable out to the backyard and use an outdoor access point?

> Ordinarily I would not suggest this, but Khalid already has a handy mast
> attached to his fence, and thus may have cable coming into his house
> somehow...
>
> https://baheyeldin.com/writings/technology/how-to-get-free-hd-tv-using-an-
> antenna-in-waterloo-ontario.html

Don't want ethernet cables out in the elements. The TV cable is sealed by
design, and there is no power going out to the backyard. The amplifier
sends power over the coax, so no extra connections.

> I am actually involved in a similar project to extend wifi range. The plan
> is to use a $30 Mikrotik router as an access point, and disable the router
> features (exactly as Khalid was suggesting, except with evil proprietary
> Mikrotik stuff instead of angelic OpenWRT). But that is an indoor solution.

If I can get WiFi inside the basement close to the walls, that maybe just
the ticket.

Where do you buy the Mikrotik router from? Directly from the manufacturer?

The WRT1900AC and ACS recommended by others are expensive (~ $250 at least).