[kwlug-disc] Extending WiFi Range

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 30 00:05:27 EDT 2017

On that note: if the problem is getting wifi to the backyard, why not
run a cable out to the backyard and use an outdoor access point?
Ubiquiti makes pretty good stuff (I have used the NanoStation and
NanoBridge in the past). They are not super-cheap, but they are not
that pricy either (you can get something good for $100 or so).

Ordinarily I would not suggest this, but Khalid already has a handy
mast attached to his fence, and thus may have cable coming into his
house somehow...

https://baheyeldin.com/writings/technology/how-to-get-free-hd-tv-using-an-antenna-in-waterloo-ontario.html

I am actually involved in a similar project to extend wifi range. The
plan is to use a $30 Mikrotik router as an access point, and disable
the router features (exactly as Khalid was suggesting, except with
evil proprietary Mikrotik stuff instead of angelic OpenWRT). But that
is an indoor solution.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org