[kwlug-disc] Extending WiFi Range

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 09:32:28 EDT 2017

> The WRT1900AC and ACS recommended by others are expensive
 > (~ $250 at least).

Right, but if you swap in another (non-wifi) router, perhaps even
OpenWRT capable, you can then move your current one wherever you like.

Seems to me Charles had some older non-wifi / OpenWRT capable routers at
computer recycling for cheap.

As long as the WAN connection is faster than what your provider is
giving you, and I don't imagine it's even 100Mbps, you won't suffer for
the less speedy / capable equipment - it's just converting ethernet into
cable-speak.

(Careful though, when I tried this with my LinkSys ATA/Router - it kept
falling over. Couldn't handle the throughput. It was fine as an ATA,
just not as a router.)