[kwlug-disc] Extending WiFi Range

Mark Steffen rmarksteffen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 22:46:55 EDT 2017

Going to agree with Andrew.  To get my company provided VPN router hooked
up (and the VOIP phone behind it) running cable was the only option for a
solid connection (my Internet also terminates in the basement).  Putting a
wifi router in the basement and expecting it to serve your backyard wasn't
realistic, it sorta kinda worked in certain parts of the house.  Consider a
POE adapter and routing the cable to wife-acceptable levels of stealthiness
and get your router on the middle floor somewhere that the signal
propagates well.  Repeaters just suck and most of them halve your bandwidth
(unless you use multi-band multi-radio ones, but then you're into hundreds
of dollars to get decent gear to make this work properly).  I also tried to
raise it up into "just below the floorboards" of the first floor but it
didn't make much difference.

*Mark Steffen*
Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile/WhatsApp: +1.226.600.0464
*"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*