[kwlug-disc] NextCloud probing users' security(?)

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Wed Mar 22 16:48:24 EDT 2017

Hello everyone,

As I understand it, at least one of us is using OwnCloud / NextCloud.

A story heard on LateNightLinux podcast last night reports that
NextCloud has been probing users' security and if old versions are
found, they're contacting the admin@ for the IP block to make them aware
of potential security issues / vulnerabilities.

> https://latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-06/

Of course, a lot of users install NextCloud on their home computers for
handy access to their data without having to involve 3rd parties.

Which is technically against the ToS for many ISPs.

Some such users were then issued warnings by their ISPs, where they'd
been under the radar previously.

Reddit is linked to by the LNL podcast link above:

> https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/5ybmf1/nextcloud_scanning_peoples_owncloud_and_nextcloud/

I'm curious if any users have encountered probes by NextCloud, or gotten
notifications of out-of-date installations, heard from their ISPs, or
have any general comments on the situation.

The Reddit post is 13 days old and this is the first I've heard of it.

Regards,

rb