[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu 16.04 Questions

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:12:55 EDT 2017

On 03/16/2017 12:07 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Ronald Barnes <ron at ronaldbarnes.ca> wrote:
>
>> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 2017-03-16 09:36 AM:
>>

>> It also
>>> seems to have gone down the path of we know better than the user what
>>> they want, and started to dumb down things and not making them as
>>> configurable (KDE's traditional forte).

Do you have any sense that this is/not a Kubuntu thing more than a KDE
thing? Or more a KDE Plasma 5 than a Plasma 4 thing?

My 12.04 machine appears to be KDE 4.14.2, 14.04 4.13.3, and my just
installed / waiting in the wings Debian (8.7) Jessie [3.16.0] is 4.14.2.

This thread makes me wonder if the problem is actually KDE 5, and I
should try to avoid it as long as possible?

>> Yeah, I recoiled at the "KDE5" when "upgrading" from KDE4.  Have gotten
>> used to it though and it's now working for me reasonably well.
>>

> One other thing is that stuff in the panel would work then stop working
> (e.g. the widget showing CPU/Memory, ..etc is supposed to pop up the
> KSysGuard window when clicked). It does work for a couple of times, then
> stops responding to clicks until I restart KDE/Plasma.

KDE 5 growing pains, much as experienced when we went from 3 to 4?

> If you (anyone) wants the best KDE on Ubuntu 16.04, may I recommend
>> KDEneon?  A more up-to-date KDE on top of 16.04 LTS.

A real quick boo made me think LTS with plasma backports ppa. No?

On 03/16/2017 11:55 AM, Ronald Barnes wrote:>
 > Thought I'd add my 2¢ - hopefully it helps someone, somewhere.

Thank you (both)! This thread definitely caught my attention - long time
KDE/Kubuntu user [the desktop being but a interface to getting actual
work done via apps (LibreOffice, kate, web, whatever), not
OS'/desktops]. The heads up of this thread is appreciated. KDE
'surprises' historically being rather ... excruciating.