[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu 16.04 Questions

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Mar 16 12:07:15 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Ronald Barnes <ron at ronaldbarnes.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 2017-03-16 09:36 AM:
>
> Basically, KDE was missing some stuff, such as a weather app.
>>

> There are two (at least) weather widgets available, but not in the default
> install.  Weather Forecast and Weather Widget (my favourite). Both are
> installed on my laptop.

I searched the repos for anything with 'weather' in it, and installed the
ones that looked promising, such as 'plasma-widget-weatherforecast'. It did
install, but when I add a widget, it is not on the list of widgets that can
be added.

> It also
>> seems to have gone down the path of we know better than the user what
>> they want, and started to dumb down things and not making them as
>> configurable (KDE's traditional forte).
>>

> Yeah, I recoiled at the "KDE5" when "upgrading" from KDE4.  Have gotten
> used to it though and it's now working for me reasonably well.

I gave it a try for about 10 days, then could not take it anymore.

One other thing is that stuff in the panel would work then stop working
(e.g. the widget showing CPU/Memory, ..etc is supposed to pop up the
KSysGuard window when clicked). It does work for a couple of times, then
stops responding to clicks until I restart KDE/Plasma.

The same would happen to wxPython. I started down the path of writing an
application to get weather forecasts, but the panel would stop responding
to clicks!

Annoying.

If you (anyone) wants the best KDE on Ubuntu 16.04, may I recommend
> KDEneon?  A more up-to-date KDE on top of 16.04 LTS.

I read about that, and it looks promising. But did not try it myself.

> Xubuntu has a functional weather widget (powered by forecast from Norway,
>> or all places),
>>

> Yeah, it's unfortunate Environment Canada's data isn't available.  KDE's
> widgets use either yr.no or OWM (Open Weather Map).

I am astonished by yr.no's comprehensiveness. Much more granular than
Environment Canada Seems accurate so far, but not sure about accuracy long
term though. We will see.