[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu 16.04 Questions

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Thu Mar 16 11:55:16 EDT 2017

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 2017-03-16 09:36 AM:

> Basically, KDE was missing some stuff, such as a weather app.

There are two (at least) weather widgets available, but not in the
default install.  Weather Forecast and Weather Widget (my favourite).
Both are installed on my laptop.

> It also
> seems to have gone down the path of we know better than the user what
> they want, and started to dumb down things and not making them as
> configurable (KDE's traditional forte).

Yeah, I recoiled at the "KDE5" when "upgrading" from KDE4.  Have gotten
used to it though and it's now working for me reasonably well.

If you (anyone) wants the best KDE on Ubuntu 16.04, may I recommend
KDEneon?  A more up-to-date KDE on top of 16.04 LTS.

> Xubuntu has a functional weather widget (powered by forecast from
> Norway, or all places),

Yeah, it's unfortunate Environment Canada's data isn't available.
KDE's widgets use either yr.no or OWM (Open Weather Map).

> The panel for Xubuntu looks a bit odd when set to vertical on the side,
> and some icons take a huge amount of space on it, but not a big deal ...

KDE5 is pretty good at this: I have a vertical panel on laptop screen
and a default panel at bottom of external monitor.

Thought I'd add my 2¢ - hopefully it helps someone, somewhere.

Best regards,

rb
--
Linux systems, databases, network admin