[kwlug-disc] 4TB drive throwing errors - what's current drive thinking these days?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Sun May 8 21:40:36 EDT 2016

I've had luck with Seagate drives, only 1 of the past 4 I've owned (a
1TB) developed any errors. At the moment I have a couple of 3TB and a
2TB in our KODI box. But as Jeff said I've found it's model, and
moreover I think sometimes pure luck. I'm not a dedicated brand person
anymore. I just picked up a 1TB WD Blue (sits horizontal and only used
as data drive to SSD) for my regular desktop. So far pretty happy with
it. Heard the Blue is actually slightly faster than the black, but not
quite as resilient (I mostly use my desktop to rip media).