[kwlug-disc] 4TB drive throwing errors - what's current drive thinking these days?

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 19:06:46 EDT 2016

On 04/20/2016 12:22 PM, B.S. wrote:
> One of my WD4001FAEX-00MJRA0 4TB Sata III drives is now throwing off
> errors. What's current thinking on drives and colours these days?
>
> smartctl -H is now showing failure, showed PASSED a week ago. More
> importantly, btrfs scrub is throwing off a few hundred errors - this
> after a scrub last week that only threw 5 fixable errors (after
> restoring a half dozen other problematic files).
.
.
.
> What's current thinking on drives these days?

FWIW ...

Replaced under warranty.

Shipped last Thursday, received replacement today. 1 week round trip.
$11.59 to ship via Canada Post (everything has tracking), 3 business day
delivery promise (not that I cared how long it took). Received notice
yesterday WD is going to ship, found in my door today from UPS. (When I
checked yesterday on UPS, they hadn't picked up the drive yet.) Shipped
to, and from, Toronto - i.e. no customs irritants.

If it matters, old drive was WD4001FAEX-00MJRA0, new drive is
WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0.

My other 2 are WD4001FAEX-00MJRA0 (out of warranty) and
WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (warranty expires 12/25/2019).