[kwlug-disc] 4TB drive throwing errors - what's current drive thinking these days?

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun May 8 21:45:47 EDT 2016

On 08/05/16 09:40 PM, Charles M wrote:
> I've had luck with Seagate drives, only 1 of the past 4 I've owned (a
> 1TB) developed any errors. At the moment I have a couple of 3TB and a
> 2TB in our KODI box. But as Jeff said I've found it's model, and
> moreover I think sometimes pure luck. I'm not a dedicated brand person
> anymore. I just picked up a 1TB WD Blue (sits horizontal and only used
> as data drive to SSD) for my regular desktop. So far pretty happy with
> it. Heard the Blue is actually slightly faster than the black, but not
> quite as resilient (I mostly use my desktop to rip media).

Failure rate for all consumer grade 2+ TB have been terrible. After
replacing several 3TB drives, I gave up and invested in enterprise-grade
drives and replaced the lot of them. The way I see it, if it is
important enough to archive, it's important enough to spend some extra
money for reliability on. Since I switched, I've had zero trouble.

Using Seagate Constellations, btw. The unreliable ones were the Seagate
Barracudas. I looked at WD and the various colours all had bad failure
rates (though not as bad as the Barracuda's).

--
Digimer
access to education?