[kwlug-disc] email clients for kwlug - suggestions?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sun May 8 00:48:40 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 02:13:43PM -0400, Hubert Chathi wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2016 08:50:16 -0400, "B. S." <bs27975 at gmail.com> said:
>
> > Apparently not, per that article. The message from the list would
> > contain all the list headers, allowing for things like threading,
>
> The headers needed for threading (In-Reply-To and References) should be
> added by your mail client, so those should be available in the copy you
> have already.
>
> Some headers that you would be missing are list identification headers
> (List-Id, List-Unsubscribe, etc.) which you might use in a filter to
> automatically file the mails in the right folder.

You just jogged my memory!

By default, if you click "Filter messages like this", gmail will create
a thread based on the list headers. This works fine for web and mobile,
because gmail always shows your replies in-line.

However, in IMAP, you will see all messages EXCEPT yours (due to the
message dedup, meaning you don't get the extra headers on your copy)

Instead of filtering based on list, filter based on the "To" field.
This matches both mail received from the list, plus my mail sent by me
to the list.

> > but
> > you don't get it as you have the copy already - in your sent
> > folder. (Also sans such headers.)
>
> Am I the only one who thinks that a "Sent" folder is a silly idea?

In the age of fast searches, it's a little outdated. Sent can easily be
replaced by a search for "From:chris at example.org"

At work, I'm a fan of keeping replies in the current folder.  This way
my mail is also stored along-side the rest of the discussion (Like with
a mail list). I can more easily follow large "reply-all" email
discussions.

At home, since I'm gmail-hosted currently, I haven't figured out a great
solution. I could configure mutt to store a copy in the current folder,
but that won't apply when using my phone or web. Since GMail's own UI
threads your replies with all discussions already, there is no need for
a "store in current folder" option.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca