[kwlug-disc] OT: SSD disks?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 21 10:24:47 EST 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:45 PM, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> > On the box it says MLC and "20GB/day endurance rating".
>>
>> Interesting. Haven't come across such nomenclature before as "/day
>> endurance rating". If SSDs are expected to ultimately die, hopefully many
>> years from now, is there any sense as to how many days "/day endurance
>> rating" means? (When we look at  making such purchases ourselves.)
>> Presumably it does not mean 'forever'.
>>

> I was wondering too: 20GB/day FOR HOW LONG? For a year? Three? Five? Ten?
> They don't say.
>
> What they say is that it has a 3 year warranty. So I guess 365*3*20GB is
> what they rate it for.
>
> Or maybe this is an emerging industry convention of sort and this is the
> first we (I) hear of it.

One their web site, they spell it out:

http://ocz.com/consumer/vertex-460a-ssd/specifications

"Rated for 20GB/day of host writes for 3 years under typical client
workloads"

So, it is indeed the warranty duration and a maximum limit.

Looking at their lineup, they do have ones that are rated for more GB/day
for more years.

http://ocz.com/consumer/sata-3-ssd

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin