[kwlug-disc] OT: SSD disks?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 21 09:14:37 EST 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:45 PM, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> > On the box it says MLC and "20GB/day endurance rating".
>
> Interesting. Haven't come across such nomenclature before as "/day
> endurance rating". If SSDs are expected to ultimately die, hopefully many
> years from now, is there any sense as to how many days "/day endurance
> rating" means? (When we look at  making such purchases ourselves.)
> Presumably it does not mean 'forever'.

I was wondering too: 20GB/day FOR HOW LONG? For a year? Three? Five? Ten?
They don't say.

What they say is that it has a 3 year warranty. So I guess 365*3*20GB is
what they rate it for.

Or maybe this is an emerging industry convention of sort and this is the
first we (I) hear of it.

IIRC, your prior drive was also MLC? Which is to say, not the dreaded TLC
> we've been hearing about?

I don't know. And their site does not say either.

http://ocz.com/consumer/vertex-4-sata-3-ssd/specifications

What is interesting is that the old disk had a 5 year warranty, the
replacement has 3 years only.

> >I am thinkinf of doing a proper install of Kubuntu 14.04 from scratch
> this time, then copy my home directory over. Cleaner that way than what I
> did last time (install Ubuntu Server, then KDE desktop over it).
>
> Interesting that you're thinking that way. Theoretically, and I grant you
> it's only theoretical, you should end up at the same place. I was quite
> interested to read what you went through when you did that - what have you
> noticed that is making you reconsider the approach?

What I went through (copying one disk to the other) works, but there are
lots of steps to do after to get things working again (grub, hibernate,
...etc).

So, I will start with a fresh 14.04 install with all this working, then
copy my home directory, and perhaps save time that way. Also, I will have
the extra stuff that comes from Kubuntu that does not get installed when I
just install the meta package for kubuntu desktop. I used to have all that
before the original Toshiba hard disk died.

Also, I was used to going from one release to the other by doing:
do-release-upgrade. That took me from 8.04 to some intermediate non-LTS
release or two, then 10.04 to 12.04 and finally 14.04.

So, doing an install will tell me how things changed on 14.04 install-wise.

My own experience has been that such bloat (akonadi comes to mind)
> inevitably creeps in / seems unavoidable.

I disabled it once (can't remember how), and since I copy my home directory
around, the configuration for it being disabled sticks with me. Never saw
akonadi turn itself back on.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.