[kwlug-disc] OT: SSD disks?

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 20 23:45:37 EST 2015

> On the box it says MLC and "20GB/day endurance rating".

Interesting. Haven't come across such nomenclature before as "/day endurance rating". If SSDs are expected to ultimately die, hopefully many years from now, is there any sense as to how many days "/day endurance rating" means? (When we look at  making such purchases ourselves.) Presumably it does not mean 'forever'.

IIRC, your prior drive was also MLC? Which is to say, not the dreaded TLC we've been hearing about?

Seems more and more any given model of anything only lasts for a single production run (I'm guessing). Things get tweaked for the next massive production run, leading to a new model identifier, of course. Makes it really hard to compare performance across manufacturers, let alone across a single manufactures model lines. I'd like to say it's a conspiracy by manufacturers to defeat consumers reports type efforts, but I don't expect it's that simple.

>I am thinkinf of doing a proper install of Kubuntu 14.04 from scratch this time, then copy my home directory over. Cleaner that way than what I did last time (install Ubuntu Server, then KDE desktop over it).

Interesting that you're thinking that way. Theoretically, and I grant you it's only theoretical, you should end up at the same place. I was quite interested to read what you went through when you did that - what have you noticed that is making you reconsider the approach?

Granted, a 'straight up' gui install, rather than command line with gui added, allows the coherence / cohesiveness of the 'package' to be effective. However, presumably the point of command line plus 'only essential' gui elements is to avoid some of the 'unnecessary' bloat that seems to come with it. e.g. Audio / Video / Media bloat that comes along for the ride, if you know you'll be doing none of that on that machine.

My own experience has been that such bloat (akonadi comes to mind) inevitably creeps in / seems unavoidable. Haven't been able to square this circle, myself, so your comments interest me. As soon as you add kubuntu-desktop instead of, say, just plasma-desktop (then add kde / admin tools, etc ad infinitum), this conundrum seems to present itself.

I've been cloning entire systems when making a new one (absent a new LTS version, that is), e.g. vm's. I get so tired of re-setting umpteen individual settings everywhere at each new install that I've started cloning then trimming 'fat' on the new / differently purposed machine. Just taking /home doesn't seem to catch all the umpteen fiddly bits - such as in and under /etc, or fstab/bind mounts, for example. Let alone if you have a favourite local apache setup and modules. webmin comes to mind, not so much for a local webmin as a place to sandbox webmin changes locally before deciding to implement on a non-gui server.

I get you have to have a current LTS version install from which to copy, which might not be your current situation for all I know.  I'll certainly be interested in your experience, especially in contrast to your server plus gui episode.