[kwlug-disc] Website Wishlist

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Jul 18 08:17:33 EDT 2015

On 2015-07-17 22:51, B.S. wrote:
> What would make you use (or contribute/write? to) the website more?

Currently, the member's blogs are a bit thin on content.
And as we know, there are many other sources of helpful tips, e.g.
linux.org, stackoverflow, apachefriends.org, etc.

I do not think that the blogs should try to duplicate these sources but
should try to be locally relevant and focused.

I tried to make my contribution member's blogs relevant, but these, too,
suffer from the issue of maintenance, i.e. the info in my contributions
is dated.

As for suggestions:

Having a precis (a summary or abstract of a text or speech) of a
presentation in addition to that which may already be available in the
meeting notices and meeting summaries might be a good addition to the blogs.

The meeting notices and meeting summaries - in archive.org - are not
indexed by subject and the information within might be difficult to
search through when looking for a given subject.
I looked for info related to the recent presentations of btrfs and found
the same at kwlug.org/node/969 and kwlug.org/node/956.

Tip: archive.org allows searching on creator:'Kitchener-Waterloo Linux
User Group' btrfs

I have taken the liberty of creating a simple blog post: Chris Irwin
presents btrfs.

I will note, however, that the task of creating a blog entry with a
precis of a presentation in addition to the actual presentation puts
more on the presenters' plate.

JohnJ