[kwlug-disc] Website Wishlist

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Fri Jul 17 22:51:53 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

This is actually a fascinating read, and particularly topical now. Thanks for posting the link Bob.

Fascinating as it's a look back in time to both the technology of the time and of the joint thinking of the time, individuals attempting to peer into their crystal balls. Thanks to all who participated and contributed. kwlug would not be what it is without you.

Not looking to debate, criticize, or reopen any of it, here - people did what they could and we're all better off for it.

Since then, though, books have 'gone away' (appears to be the major impetus for not choosing a wiki), and tags/categories have in practice substantially been irrelevant. [As opposed to taxonomy - elements have to be classified somehow, after all. I'm probably mixing tags/categories/taxonomy here - Richard can set me straight some day.]

So since then, how the website is actually used, as opposed to how it could, or could have been, used, is more apparent.

Seems like time for a repeat of that discussion. So time for Paul to call us together for an in-person out-of-band meet to do so?

I'll also pose a question:

What would make you use (or contribute/write? to) the website more?
- e.g. If it had <x> I would ...

Tickling my mind is better separated kw vs l (local area versus technical) in kwlug, but the tickle is too vague to be an answer to that question. For me, l is just the means I use for my kw. Perhaps kwlug could be more community centric than technical centric? If it's even reasonable to suggest that it is currently more the other way around? (Not rigorously so, I agree, and not looking for it to be so.) Given things like Android and OSM, all good stuff, perhaps being tagged Linux is a barrier / misnomer to the rich and wonderful community that it is, where no such barrier is actually present?

So ... what would make you use the website more? (Or what do you find missing from your web life that you could see it satisfying?)