[kwlug-disc] Tablet shopping

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Sep 26 12:04:21 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Wifeski has been saying for some time now that she wants a tablet computer
> as her laptop computer is getting to be a pain to use.

Check if the laptop's RAM is upgraded to the maximum allowed. I upgraded my
old-ish tablet and it made a huge difference.

> I've never bought a tablet other than the Kobo reader (which isn't really
> a tablet).  Has anyone had any experiences with the Lenovo A8-50, before I
> go ahead and buy one?  I'd prefer to hear from anyone here over the
> customer reviews on Amazon..  This model seems fairly robust for a smaller
> tablet, and under $200.
>
> What's like is to keep the laptop at her desk all day, and run around the
> house with the tablet to check emails, FaceBook, etc.
>
> I've had good luck with Lenovo laptops so that's why I'm looking up their
> product line for tablets.

While not the specific Lenovo model you are considering, we've had two
Lenovo tablets.

One is the older A2109 9", which is fast and snappy (faster than my 10"
Acer A500), and also lighter on the hands than a 10", while not suffering
from small screen size like the 7" ones. Nowadays my mom uses it and she
likes it.

It was on sale for $180 or so 1.5 years ago.

The other is the S6000. It has a good screen and is snappy as well.
However, it lacks some crucial components like a compass and GPS (so things
like: Google Skymap will not point to the correct direction, GasBuddy would
not show nearby gas stations). Also, my wife could not find a good third
party case for it.

http://reviews.lenovo.com/8923-en_us/3A009BDD4957F7DADAAA2C644C4B3956_12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087/lenovo-s6000-reviews/reviews.htm

I like to check GSM Arena for specs. The A8-50 is here

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_a8_50_a5500-6281.php

It does have GPS, so that is good. It also has FM Radio, which is the first
tablet I have seen that has that.

However, not sure about the 8" screen. Perhaps take her to the shop and see
if she can read it comfortably.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.