[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 22 21:48:20 EST 2014

On 2014-11-22 19:28, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM, Hubert Chathi <hubert at uhoreg.ca>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:42:53 -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com>
>> said:
>>
>>> 3. They found some weird dependencies are there, e.g. GIMP requires
>>> libsystemd because if depends on libpulse.
>>
>> libpulse0 depending on libsystemd0 doesn't surprise me, nor does it
>> bother me, since it's just for accessing systemd functionality if it's
>> there, and won't cause systemd to be installed.  What surprises me
>> more
>> is that GIMP, which doesn't do any audio-related stuff, somehow
>> depends
>> on libpulse0.
>
> I understand your point, and agree that GIMP should not care, let
> alone depend, on audio.
>
> But the troubling part here is one of the main points against systemd:
> namely, if you ever want to use one thing that team Poettering et al
> wrote, you have no choice but to get the entire dependency chain,
> which goes down to the lowest levels, including the init daemon
> itself.

However, isn't that a packaging issue, rather than a systenmd issue?
Maybe the dependencies need to be fixed. If it is absolutely necessary
because it otherwise breaks things, then it would be truly badly code
due to tight coupling.

> That, along with the binary log, are the things that bother me the
> most about it.

Well, they way I understand it, you can configure it that all log infos
are forwarded to syslog (hence not binary anymore), and I assume it is
possible to clear the binary log periodically through cron or similar.
So, there is a workaround.

I am not speaking for systemd, however, I think there are ways to avoid
it when one wants to

-tx