[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Sat Nov 22 22:51:26 EST 2014

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:28:38 -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> said:

> But the troubling part here is one of the main points against systemd:
> namely, if you ever want to use one thing that team Poettering et al
> wrote, you have no choice but to get the entire dependency chain,
> which goes down to the lowest levels, including the init daemon
> itself.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your concern about more things
depending on something that's supposed to be an init system, but that
doesn't seem to be the case here.  libsystemd0 the library does not pull
in systemd the init system.  libsystemd0's only dependencies are "libc6
(>= 2.14), libgcrypt20 (>= 1.6.1), liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614),
multiarch-support".  Although it does make me curious what systemd
functionality pulseaudio could possibly use.

> That, along with the binary log, are the things that bother me the
> most about it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of binary logs either.