[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 22 19:28:38 EST 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM, Hubert Chathi <hubert at uhoreg.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:42:53 -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> said:
>
>> 3. They found some weird dependencies are there, e.g. GIMP requires
>> libsystemd because if depends on libpulse.
>
> libpulse0 depending on libsystemd0 doesn't surprise me, nor does it
> bother me, since it's just for accessing systemd functionality if it's
> there, and won't cause systemd to be installed.  What surprises me more
> is that GIMP, which doesn't do any audio-related stuff, somehow depends
> on libpulse0.

I understand your point, and agree that GIMP should not care, let
alone depend, on audio.

But the troubling part here is one of the main points against systemd:
namely, if you ever want to use one thing that team Poettering et al
wrote, you have no choice but to get the entire dependency chain,
which goes down to the lowest levels, including the init daemon
itself.

That, along with the binary log, are the things that bother me the
most about it.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.