[kwlug-disc] Thanks for helping to repair laptops!

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 11 01:23:07 EST 2014

Over Saturday and today we managed to fix over 10 laptops. We now have
17 laptops on the shelf and four for sale (but we worked on some of
them internally). We also managed to classify and strip 10 wine boxes
full of laptops to e-waste.

Saturday was much busier than Monday, so I do not think we will be
scheduling formal laptop-fixing days on Mondays any more. If people
are interested then we might do some informal days.

I took an informal poll, and it appeared that many of the Saturday
volunteers were open to holding another event next month. So I have
tentatively scheduled the following date:

Saturday, December 6
4-8pm (or whenever we get bored and tired)
Computer Recycling
66 Queen Street South

If you already know the SECRET PHONE NUMBER then RSVPing is not
mandatory, but I would appreciate it. If you do not know said phone
number then you should contact me to get it.

If you are eager then you do not have to wait until Dec 6 to help out.
Some people are arranging to come in during Computer Recycling hours,
and you can too. If you would like to arrange something after hours,
then let me know and I will see what I can do.

Thanks so much to everybody for helping out. It is great to get this
logjam broken up -- we have been wrestling with the problem of selling
laptops for years, and thanks to the exploitation of innocent KWLUG
members we are finally making some progress. Now we will have to see
whether there is a market for our wares.

Speaking of which: the laptops are selling for a range of prices
depending on their specifications and condition. Not all of them are
on the shelf yet, but when they are the range will be $15-60.

We also are willing to sell some of the laptops we stripped for
e-waste, if you need parts (screens, keyboards, etc). If you are
interested then you will need to know the make and model of your
laptop.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org