[kwlug-disc] Ruby on Rails production environment

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Mon Nov 10 13:35:19 EST 2014

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd give the mailing list a try for suggestions
on this one.

I've been tasked with rebuilding a rails production
environment, which has a few complex requirements.

In short, these
servers host multiple applications, in /srv/rails/project name/ with
varying dependencies for things like rails version. (There are still
some bugs with CAS-based authentication, so were stuck with rails-4.0.1,
on some projects.)

Previously we have been using rails-ready (with
puppet) to deploy rails, however this is not conducive to gem versioning
requirements.

It appears that RVM via puppet is my only option, though
I'd like to contain gem versions for rails at the project level, rather
than the user level. (the web server components are apache2 /
passenger)

Any advice / wisdom from ruby users / sysadmins?

Thanks in
advance,

~Peter Melse