[kwlug-disc] Thanks for helping to repair laptops!

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 11 01:56:59 EST 2014

Thanks for this Paul. Had intended to come out but couldn't. Hope to
another time.

I would be pleased to contribute time towards seeing a child gain a
laptop for their very own that they would not otherwise be able to, be
they cheap or free. Or even a teenager needing a separate environment to
learn programming or media creation on. (Since they probably don't have
a machine upon which vm's would run on reasonably, or they wouldn't be
interested in this hardware.) Let alone those in financial difficulty
without a computer at all (but wouldn't an IP / wi-fi be problematic /
these laptops probably don't have wi-fi onboard?).

Is there a facility or (social) program for this we could point people
to, or is there any intent to 'supply' such a program? [I get you can't
supply what you don't have / working, and no such qualification is
needed when walking in off the street to purchase from CR.]

I'm guessing you're loading up lubuntu or xubuntu for the user? (Let
alone needing a platform to run hardware exercises on.)

It's been my experience Mondays don't work well for meetings - people
recovering or catching up from the weekend, or prepping or completing
for workweek what they intended to do on weekend. Tues. - Thurs. best
for that sort of thing. Fri. can be popular, but slightly different
group. (Some like Fridays, some don't.) Also, regularly scheduled weekly
or biweekly evening meets can be successful over time - people make it
part of their schedules rather than one off's. [Gets one off the couch,
cheaper than a movie, etc.]

Can you characterize the CPUs of the laptops please?

I'm guessing nothing even as 'late' (recent?) as dual core, or P4 > 3GHz
(which means it's hyperthreaded). Would I be guessing correctly?

P.S. Kudos and thank yous to all that helped.