[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: WRDashboard, Vim (Aug 2019)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 10 13:31:41 EDT 2019

Andrew Cant is on a mission to take the pulse of Waterloo Region. For
years he has been gathering information about all the neat things
being produced in this area -- the blogs, the podcasts, even the free
software repos -- and now he is aggregating those resources into a
one-stop shoppe of information feeds: https://wrdashboard.ca .
Furthermore he is putting the site together IndieWeb style, using open
standards instead of depending on our social media overlords. During
his presentation Andrew will tell us about the tools, technologies,
and choices he has made in putting WRDashboard together.

Jason Eckert is on a mission to edit text files. In this world of
fancy IDEs and cloudy computing you would think poor old vi(m) would
be obsolete, but just try SSHing into a GUI-free containerized Linux
node sometime. Jason has been using Vim for decades and will give us a
crash course on how to work with the editor (beyond <Esc> <Esc> <Esc>
:q!). These presentations will begin at 7pm.

In other news, Colin Knapp is on a mission to replace Google Forms
with IndieWeb-style, self-hosted forms. He is involved with taking
over maintenance of a project called OhMyForm: https://ohmyform.com .
He is not ready to present the project
(yet!) but he invites you to visit the project and give it a star,
because if he gets enough stars then he gets sponsored hosting? See
the repo here: https://github.com/ohmyform/ohmyform/ .

Do you like Rust? Are you looking to get into the eternally rewarding
and incredibly lucrative world of organizing user group meetings? Mark
and Sanjay at RustKW (https://www.meetup.com/Rust-KW/) are looking for
some organizing help to keep their group going. If you are interested
email Sunjay (varma.sunjay) and Mark (mdsherry), both at gmail.

That's all I have for this month, except to put out a call for some
more presentations. We are looking for people to talk about whatever
free-software topics they are passionate about. We need presentations
from October onwards, and like to mix more technical topics with more
beginner-friendly ones. Contact me offlist (or use the website contact
form) if you are interested.

This month's meeting will be held at TriOS:

TriOS College
110 King St E
(at Market Square)
Kitchener

See the https://kwlug.org/trios-college for photos and maps. You
should either arrive early or bring a cellphone so you can call/text
to get into the building.

- Paul
--
Sign up for tech events: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp