[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Docker Swarm, Life in a Terminal Window (July 2019)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 6 06:36:31 EDT 2019

Containers, containers, everywhere.  Containers for your apps,
containers serving maps. Containers in the trees, container
availability. See these containers sing! They orchestrate everything!
Oh no! This container is stuck! Haul another out of the truck!
Containers power DevOps. Containers for your moms and your pops.
Containers are the hot new (not so new?) way to deploy applications at
scale in the cloud. But managing swarms of containers can get tricky.
In previous KWLUG meetings[1], we have heard about Kubernetes as one
solution for container orchestration. This month, Mikalai Birukou will
tell us about another: Docker Swarm, brought to you by the same
people who make Docker itself. Docker Swarm does a bunch of
management things, such as scaling and high availability, and it
abstracts everything as if it was one computer. You might remember
Mikalai's great presentation on LXD[2], and with any luck he will be
able to deliver the entirety of his presentation indoors this time
around.

My computer is old and slow, and doing something as simple as running
a web browser on the modern internet can be a real chore (hello,
Slack). Much of the time I try to do what I can within a terminal
window, and over the years I have discovered some workflows and tools
that help me get by. On Monday I will drag my old and slow computer to
the meeting and give a broad overview of these tools, focusing on
end-user applications. This presentation is intended to be
beginner-friendly and useful for those getting started with Linux, but
I hope even experienced users will learn one or two tricks they had
not known about before.

In other news, we are looking for a 40 minute presentation for August.
Do you have something you have been waiting to present? Do you know of
some topic (or want to learn about some topic) that might be of
interest to the broader group? Let us know via email, the website
contact form, kwlug-disc, or in person.

Even though it is summer, there are interesting computer-related
things happening in town. At long last, Marc Par? is starting up his
LibreOffice user group. Their first meeting will be held in
conjunction with the Nonprofit Sysadmin meeting on July 15, at Conrad
Grebel college. See
https://www.meetup.com/NetSquared-Kitchener-Waterloo/events/261987213/
for more information.

I told you about the CyberCity conference last month, and I have a few
updates. Firstly, they are still looking for speakers, and
applications have been extended to August 1. Secondly, tickets for the
conference are now on sale. Prices range from $25 to $50. See
https://cybercityconf.io for more information.

We will once again be meeting at TriOS college:

TriOS College
110 King St E
(in Market Square)
Kitchener

See https://kwlug.org/trios-college for maps and photos of the meeting
location. The outer doors are often locked by 7pm, so try to be prompt
or bring a cellphone so you can text/call to be let in.

- Paul

[1] See https://kwlug.org/node/1111
[2] See https://kwlug.org/node/1156
--