Tips for Presenters
This page provides guidelines for people presenting for our group.
- We start the meeting with announcements (10-20min).
- We have a 10-15 min break a little before 8pm. If you have a full presentation slot, please schedule this break into your presentation.
- Please make sure your presentation works at a resolution of 1024x768.
- If you are showing interactive terminal sessions, make sure the terminal font is large enough -- we recommend at least 14 point (and bigger if you can).
- Unfortunately, the 97 Victoria presentation space has a LOT of background noise. People need the speaker system in order to hear.
- We have speaker stands, but no clip-on microphones.
- If you want your laptop to transmit sound through the speaker system please let us know in advance.
We provide the following by default:
- A screen.
- A projector. This projector has VGA input. It handles a resolution of 1024x768. If your computer runs at a much higher resolution you may have problems.
- A speaker system and wired microphones.
- Wired or wireless internet (wired is much more reliable). Not all ports or protocols may work -- if you have doubts, please contact us and we can schedule a dry run.
We may be able to provide other equipment on request. Please make your request at least a week before the presentation if possible.
- A DVI to VGA converter.
- A (full-size) HDMI to VGA converter.
- A presentation laptop that can display PDF slides.
- By default, we record KWLUG presentations and livestream them. If you wish not to be recorded, please let us know (preferably in advance).
- In addition to taping your pretty face, our recording crew likes transmitting desktop screencasts. To do this they require remote access to your desktop. On Ubuntu, you can enable "Remote Desktop" or "Desktop Sharing". See the following links for more information:
- On other distributions, you can install a VNC server. One popular choice is tightvnc.