[kwlug-disc] Sony Xperia Phones open source repository

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jun 23 10:35:30 EDT 2023

As a customer who has been only Sony phones for about 12 years,
I was surprised that they open source their kernel, bootloaders,
and such.

This was not the case when I last looked into unlocking my phone
many years ago.

This is a list of their models that are "open devices":

https://developer.sony.com/open-source/aosp-on-xperia-open-devices/get-started/supported-devices-and-functionality

And here is the git repository

https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/kernel

I like Sony because they have top notch cameras, and their hardware
is reliable, and usually waterproof. Usually, I get a model that is a few
years old for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

The one I have now (Xperia 1) has full manual control of exposure,
like a prosumer camera.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin